The American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE) is looking for a eager and energetic candidate for ABCTE’s IT Manager and Programmer position. While the candidate will be accountable for on-time, on-budget delivery of all IT solutions that support the strategy of the business, we are looking for a candidate who has significant skills in Ruby on MySQL, Drupal and WordPress. Knowledge in Ruby on Rails is a plus. If you are an experienced, knowledgeable and innovative IT Associate looking to grow into a Manager or Director level position, this is the job for you.
ABCTE is a non-profit education company with customer needs and internal operations that are conducted primarily online. The Manager will have a unique opportunity to lead the definition and implementation of a scalable strategy that supports our mission, vision and 20 person staff. Working within all levels of the company, the incumbent will have the opportunity to proactively identify solutions, manage vendor relationships, maintain day-to-day technical operations, and leadfuture direction for IT resources. The Manager will be able to keep up with their programming capabilities working on custom enterprise solutions for ABCTE database needs, website, and LMS needs.
The technical environment includes
– Mix of desktops, laptops (majority Windows with some Linux and Mac) – Web site (www.abcte.org) running Drupal 5.x CMS – Several smaller web sites running Drupal 5.x and Ruby on Rails – Legacy Lotus Domino application for certification management (actively being replaced by a in-house Ruby on Rails application) – Various Microsoft products including Exchange and Office – Mobile staff
– Manage the formulation of corporate IT strategy and long-term IT planning – Manage prioritization and on-time delivery of IT tasks consistent with attainment of company and departmental goals – Manage vendor relationships – Manage technical support functions such as database, security, quality and standards including the creation and maintenance of documentation. Maintain physical inventory of all computer equipment and software licenses to ensure an accurate audit – Manage changes to live systems and applications to ensure their continued availability and effectiveness – Assist in the planning, implementation and maintenance of applications including development methods and standards – Recommend upgrades, patches, new applications and equipment towards efforts in continuous improvement of internal and client-facing systems – Proactively research technology and trends
Project Management/Application Development
– Planning, development and updating of custom, in-house applications to improve daily workflow for all employee – Planning, development and implementation of new products and services
– Ensure Tier I technical support and guidance is provided to all users including phone calls and e-mail requests; identify, research, and resolve technical problems – Document, track and monitor problems to ensure timely resolution – Train staff on accessing network resources, Internet/E-mail and other supported applications
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
– Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or other related field – Minimum 2 years cross-functional IT experience with: business systems analysis, software development and implementation, desktop support, infrastructure and security – Demonstrated skill in strategic thinking, resource management, complex problem solving, and project management competency – Experience in strategic use of technology in managing and growing a business
– Ability to take ownership in a hands-on environment – Ability to explain rationale from both a business and technical perspective and drive objectives through to completion – Broad technical knowledge of software, hardware, infrastructure and industry standards and approaches – Strong project management skills with the ability to organize, plan, envision and execute – Ability to recommend solutions which maximize value and minimize cost – Strong written skills, including technical writing – Strong analytical and conceptual skills; demonstrated track record in new concept development – Ability to link IT processes and systems to changing business processes – Team player – flexible, outgoing, positive attitude, collegial, and enthusiastic – Ability to decompose process challenges and quickly recommend and implement solutions
To apply, send a resume with cover letter to HR@abcte.org. The subject line should read: “ABCTE IT Manager and Programmer”.